Tile is an excellent surfacing choice for commercial applications. It is extremely durable, easy to maintain and will last for years and years–making it a cost effective and beautiful choice for a number of commercial environments such as retail spaces, restaurants, hotels, offices and hospitals.
Though there are many tiles specifically designed for use in demanding commercial applications, your specifications will vary from space to space. As you develop tile specification requirements for your next project, it’s important to keep a few things in mind:
- What is the design style of the space? Is this project part of a broader specification for which design style must be consistent?
- Where will the tile be needed…floors, walls, countertops?
- If floor tile is required, what amount of foot traffic is expected? Is slip resistance imperative?
- If wall tile is required, how will the space be utilized?
- Do you have any green/LEED and/or LCA requirements for the project?
- Will the tile be subjected to aggressive chemical agents or severe climate conditions?
- What is the condition of the sub-floor? Is there an existing floor material or tile?
- Is the area to be covered directly accessed from the street?
- Will the tiles be exposed to abrasive materials?
- Is hygiene a prime consideration, such as for food storage and preparation areas, restaurants, hospitals and industrial clean areas?
- Is underfloor heating an option for the space?
- Is the installer familiar with installation of the tile type you select?
With the dazzling array of different tile products available, knowing the answers to these questions will help narrow your choices down to the tiles and stone products appropriate to your project.
At GIO, we understand and appreciate your demanding specification requirements and are committed to simplifying the process of specifying tile and stone. We present our products in a clear manner so you can easily identify the looks and technical characteristics you require.